About a month ago, we received an invitation for Kate to try out for her elementary school Talent Show. I thought this would be a great opportunity for her to learn all about courage, hard work, and confidence. She wanted to sing and dance. I mentioned the song we learned at our Church’s Vacation Bible School program called “Choose Jesus”. We both learned it very well. I coordinated the VBS and Kate was a trooper to accompany me at all the practices before our VBS started. I was the MC at the event as well. I had to know what I was doing so I didn’t look silly. I still looked silly regardless… But back to Kate. The tryout was a week away. I was so bummed I couldn’t be present during the audition. However, I did get to see her just before she went up on stage. The teacher facilitating the auditions mentioned Kate was very brave and did not appear to be as nervous as the other performers waiting to try out. I really didn’t expect her to get picked. I thought for sure a public school would not allow a song like “Choose Jesus”. Much to my surprise Kate got picked! I was thrilled but at the same time worried that Kate didn’t know exactly what was all involved. I knew it would help tremendously to know the routine by heart. So during our month of preparation, we practiced almost every night. Sometimes I would forget and have Kate yawning through the motions because she wanted to get to sleep. Then during the few weeks prior, I began to talk to Kate about what exactly she had signed up for. I said, “Kate you will be up on stage by yourself, under a spotlight, with many people you don’t know watching you sing and dance”. She started to have second thoughts. I convinced her that she would do awesome because she knew the movements by heart now. She had a few opportunities to gain confidence. She performed at her Girl Scout Troop meeting in front of her buddies and their moms. Then she performed again at our Church’s Karaoke Night in front of 50+ people. She did great! I sat in the front row and helped her with the motions. I asked if this had helped and she said she would rather I be at the very back next time so no one could see me.
The day before the Big Night. Kyle and I bought Kate flowers. I promised Kate that regardless of whether or not she performed well she would get a reward. But I reminded her that her biggest reward was her praising Jesus and learning how to be courageous. As we sat around the dinner table Matt and I talked to Kate about the times we’ve been up on stage. We failed to mention that we were a lot older than her at the time. Hearing our stories seemed to help Kate relax. Then we trekked up to the school. I reached in my pocket and found a guardian angel pin. I reminded Kate that God would be with her and asked her if she would like to wear it. She put it on. I also asked her if she wanted to pray. She said she would rather pray alone.
Minutes before Show Time. I had to leave her and sit in the audience. Matt got okay seats near the aisle about middle of the crowd. Kyle sat on my lap and Kim in Matt’s. Kate was the 9th act before intermission. As I waited, my heart raced. I worried about how Kate would react. The act prior to Kate’s debut I staged myself as close as I could get to get a movie clip. The MC announced Kate as the only Kindergartener performer. There she was standing cute in her two pigtails and wearing her VBS T-shirt and glittery jeans. My heart was pounding. I heard her voice crack during her first line and I could see she wanted to cry. I held my breath. She plunged on gaining more and more confidence. In the middle of the performance she spotted me and smiled. I tried to help her with the hand motions as I balanced the camera with my other hand. I found myself messing up and causing her to miss the motions so I stopped. She did great without me. I was so proud of her. She did it!!! Tears of joy rolled down my cheeks as I ran over to get her. Most of her classmates as well as her girl scout buddies were there to cheer her on. I was happy to see Matt was even nervous. He had sweat droplets on his forehead.
When we arrived home she was surprised to see a bouquet of flowers waiting for her. We sat around the table and praised God for such a great performance and ate ice cream.
Praise God for He is so good.




No comments:
Post a Comment